Thursday, May 21, 2009

Baby Cries & Mama Tears

We took Gracie to get her 2-month shots two days ago. I hate to sound like an inadequate parent but I didn't know or research much of what to expect AFTER she had her shots, only that I expected her to cry from the needle and might be a bit fussy for the day. She doesn't cry much, to hear her scream from pain brought tears to my eyes, my poor baby! We got practically ZERO information from the doctor, except that if she was fussy we could give her some children's tylenol. I'm sad to say I didn't know immunizations would cause a fever, or just how high babies' fevers can get! That night she woke screaming and had 102.4 temp., and of course I'm near flipping out. I felt so sad and bad for my poor baby girl.

Phil's sister told us of a book she read about a doctor that recommends getting immunizations at different ages than the current recommendation and says some of them really aren't even necessary. It is also a little worrisome that there is mercury in most immunizations! Um...yeah, it's still poisonous to humans, especially little babies. So I think I'll be modifying her schedule. And two days later, I'm glad that she's almost completely back to her happy self. How tramatic!!

On a happier note, my sister has gotten me hooked on couponing, and it has been so much fun! I've only just started so we haven't seen a huge difference in our budget yet, but we're building a small food storage of the foods we normally eat by buying them on sale and with coupons. It's so great, I can hardly wait to be saving hundreds of dollars each month!

On an even happier note, our swimming pool opened today!! Yay! It's been such nice weather lately, I'm SO happy winter is over. A beautiful day has an amazing impact on my day, it's amazing. Phil will be starting his full-time job soon (what a blessing!) and I'm getting better at settling into my role as stay-at home mom, cook, and house cleaner, I love it and am so grateful I'm able to stay home and be with Gracie. And hopefully get back in better shape swimming!!

2 comments:

  1. Awwww... I'm sorry you had such a tough time with the shots! It's always hard when there so little, but then again, it's pretty tough too when they're 2 and they know you're making them do it! And as far as doctors go, I think most are alike- they don't give you any information you don't ask for. It's like OBGYN's- they expect you to already know everything.
    And the pool is open? Man, I'll miss that pool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sad story!! I'm so sad that Gracie had such a high fever. I don't think any of my children got a fever that high after shots. Kate is due for her MMR shot next month and I really would like to wait a while longer. Maybe I could call you and figure out where your SIL got her shot info.

    I'm so happy for Phil's new job and your new job as well. You guys are the cutest family ever. I think I've already told you that a million times.

    Happy swimming!

    ReplyDelete